In an editorial piece for Labour List, Diane Abbott has a brief look at yesterday's Spring Statement and points out that the priorities are all wrong. https://labourlist.org/2018/03/diane-abbott-the-wrong-priorities/
Angela Rayner has done a lot in her short time as a shadow minister and forcing 2 crucial votes on Universal Credit was nothing short of fantastic. However, as Stephen Bush explains, this could be the least of Theresa May's worries. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/welfare/2018/03/conservatives-are-heading-trouble-over-universal-credit
In Treasury Questions today John McDonnell has urged Chancellor Philip Hammond to take some action to help stop the deepening crisis in children's services. https://labourlist.org/2018/02/protect-our-children-mcdonnells-plea-to-tory-chancellor-amid-funding-crisis/
Jeremy Corbyn has announced that when the Labour Party wins the next election there will be a fundamental change in the relationship between the country, financial institutions, and politicians. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-politics-corbyn/corbyn-warns-bankers-finance-will-serve-britain-under-labour-idUSKCN1G402M
John McDonnell has accused the government of using cash-strapped local councils as “human shields” to absorb deep spending cuts by the Treasury. Everyday we hear of councils not meeting the standards that residents expect but what can they do with budgets slashed by up to 50%? https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/08/john-mcdonnell-councils-used-human-shields-funding-cuts?
This sector is the largest area of privatisation in the UK and nobody talks about it. Alice Martin gives a great account in today's Guardian linking the phenomenon to the housing crisis. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/08/biggest-privatisation-land-margaret-thatcher-britain-housing-crisis
New research obtained under the Freedom of Information Act by Labour and published today exposes that billions of pounds in tax is going uncollected from Tory tax avoidance measures introduced since 2010. https://labour.org.uk/press/tories-letting-global-tax-dodgers-off-hook-john-mcdonnell/
John McDonnell has today made comments to the World Economic Forum in Davos that he has commissioned a working group to bring forward reports for consultation on the idea of a Universal Basic Income https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-john-mcdonnell-declares-deeply-11917395
In a survey of 2000 workers only 30% were able to respond that they were comfortable with the other 70% being split between financially precarious and not managing. Didn't we all hear someone say something about helping the 'just managing' - well it turns out that's about 40% of us; it doesn't seem that she's … Continue reading Economy: Is Broke the New Normal?
I am going to Davos with a warning for the global elite. Many of those attending the World Economic Forum have been patting themselves on the back as international growth figures have begun to pick up. But they should be worried. In the real world, outside the Davos bubble of Alpine restaurants and chalets, the … Continue reading Economy: John McDonnell’s pre-Davos Statement